Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The incomplete, weird-but-true, practical guide to being a Teen in a Dysto World

So I'm not a teen anymore, but I sort of just graduated out of my pull-ups and still can wear the hat!

This is written off the top of my head, and is likely to expand- but just to clear things up, this guide is for ANY student who has someone in their life affected with dystonia.

Tip #1


Don't screw with meds- for the person with dystonia, I know it's soooo tempting to just take a day off from the yucky side effects- but it's a REALLY bad idea.

for the person without dystonia- keep in mind that sometimes the meds can make your friend, sibling, or parent really emotional or tired or hyper.  "Don't screw with meds" also means to choose your battles wisely, be forgiving, and maybe put aside arguments for later.


Tip #2


You're not alone-  if you ever need to talk to somebody, go to an online support community like American Dystonia Society's Ning and let someone there know that you need support.  You can call a dystonia organization and get support that way, or connect with Facebook.

If you need to call someone right away, there's always the Hope Line:  1-800-394-HOPE and it's the best hotline ever, they're really supportive and help especially during those lonely times at night.

Tip #3


Dystonia is just a bump in the road- you're still a normal teen, even if dystonia affects your family.  You're still going to have to worry about grades, SAT exams, graduating, getting a job, and SO much more- just like everyone else!  Find support through your regular daily activities, get on a sports team or a club and be busy. The friends you make through those activities will get to know you for who you are, without your or your family member's dystonia, and will be so supportive in the most natural way of being a friend.

Tip #4
Always live by the dystonia creed:



I will not complain to my dystonia peers, for they too know the struggles and the pain.

I will not judge those who judge me- but I will educate them about what they really see.

I will not resent my doctors, because there is no "perfect" solution yet for the disease that I have.

I WILL look at the lessons I have learned through my struggles.

I WILL ask for support when I need it the most.

I WILL lift up those who struggle with me.

I WILL give thanks for the things that I do have, and the things that I can do.

I WILL try my best to be reasonably happy with my life, because it is the only one I have

No comments:

Post a Comment